09 March 2012

Colour and Light in the Works by Mark Rothko

Yesterday I gave my first lecture in Chelsea College of Art and Design named 'Finding a Narrative in the Precedent'. It touched on the subject of methodology in research-based projects, and main idea was to proclaim the importance of practical exploration of the precedents in order to define the area of the interest for the future research.

Lecture Auditorium

A Slide from Lecture Presentation

In my lecture as well as in the tutorial earlier there was a notion brought up several times: light and colour in works by an American artist Mark Rothko. There is a great book about him called 'About Rothko' by Dore Ashton. I read it couple of times while writing up my thesis.

Book about Rothko
Original Image
Here

His works fascinate me not only with their aesthetic side, but more with the notion they bring.
Firstly, I adore the power they project on the viewer. When I saw them alive in front of me in a room covered only by his paintings from the same series, I felt like I was absorbing colour, while very dark colours like visible ( visible because there are other colours behind those we see) plum, maroon, black and violets felt as if they were glowing with light. Standing in front of one closely brought a feeling of being 'inside' of the painting, behind its picture plane. It was adorable to realise that the engagement with the depicted on a surface seemed like a spatial experience. These works were on display at Tate Modern and I recommend to certainly come and have a look if they are still there.

Black on Maroon, 1958
Original Image
Here

Another point I mentioned in my lecture was the influence of particular technique and approach to work onto the nature of experiences while perceiving it. Every object or space that has imaginative value also has practical means of being created, and I believe that finding area of interest and forming research question happens through practical work. Thus we can gain a better understanding of the narrative it suggests.  Mark Rothko was into a complicated method of work, which included special technique of work with traditional oil paint by mixing it with turpentine, thinly layering it and and polishing every layer in order to achieve this magnetic effect. 


Mark Rothko with One of His Works
Original Image Here


Here is the video about his technique:



Though I like the works which were displayed in London, there are other more joyful and saturated paintings that would be wonderful to experience. I wish one day I have a chance to travel to New York and contemplate his luminous and vibrant works in MoMA. Here is one of those I really want to see:

Untitled, Mark Rothko, 1968
Original Image
Here

No comments:

Post a Comment